Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Vacation from Vacation

Well, I guess the title explains it all too well - I am on a vacation from my vacation. I just spent like 10 days on the west coast of France soaking up the sun, reading, playing tennis, rollerblading, shopping and sleeping. Believe it or not, i really did need to get back to Paris a little bit. I suddenly get really bored.

You see, the thing is, I live in a sort of community life. I live with my boyfriend, Nick, but I also live with his brother. Then there is Ann who works with him who has her boyfriend around most of the time too. The thing is, I really do like all these people. If it wasn't for Ann and Flo, I would have never been able to go on this vacation as it is the house of Flo's parents. The downside is, everything is done TOGETHER, ALL THE TIME. Intimacy becomes an ENORMOUS challenge, etc... The community life does have its upsides but also has its downsides:

UPSIDE - You never are stuck doing everything yourself. If you set the table, someone else cleans it, Someone else does the dishes, Someone else puts the dishes away, etc...
DOWNSIDE - If you are NOT doing something (i.e. you don't feel like eating, you are not hungry, yet everyone else is running around preparing) you are a lazy self centered asshole.

UPSIDE - There is always someone around the hang out with, you can never get bored.
DOWNSIDE - There is always someone around, you can never get laid.

You get the idea, all in all, it works out for the moment. Eventually, it gets on your nerves and it can really be damaging to a relationship. Now, Nicolas dear has another opinion on this matter - traditional couples are a straight path to suicide and this sort of existence puts the spice in life. Well, for the time being, I beg to differ.

So, here I am in Paris, working my 12 hour days, draining my brain of all the thoughts that were building up - my relationship, my life, my job, etc... I love my man, I hate the circumstances we live by (but he likes it that way), i love the idea of my job, but but the circumstances that make it shitty (but my boss likes it that way), I love the idea of my life, but my compromised relationship and my compromised work makes life just a little bit shittier, but far from unlivable!

I have been considering commuting back and forth from London. Basically, I would probably end up getting a small apartment there to live in during the week, and spend my weekends and such in Paris. It is only 2 hours by train, and I wonder if it might be fun for a while. The pay is WAY better, like SERIOUSLY 2 times what I can make in Paris. Anyhow, funny thought, comments are welcome.

I am going to watch a few episodes of Angel ( I have it on DVD at work on my laptop). Figure that will make the next 4 hours go by a little bit faster....

TAKE CARE!

Jen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home